Self Directed IRA Custodian
There are a limited number of Self Directed IRA custodians in the US which allow investing in real estate, real estate options, contracts, notes, mortgages and trust deeds. We have worked with many of these self-directed IRA custodians. Here is the list and IRA Company reviews.
Many offices, service varies by local office, prices have gone up drastically in last few years.Â Highly recommend Entrust New Direction located in Lafayette, Colorado because of the excellent service they provide.
If you do 10 or more transactions yearly, Equity Trust is likely the least expensive custodian. Annual fee is based on account value, no transaction fees except for expedited service, reportedly fast & good service, but you may experience long hold times when contacting customer support.
Large and reportedly fast with good service.Â Higher fees make this a more expensive choice.
Big company, but slower service and lots of additional restrictions, including a requirement to designate a third party to watch over your investments, receive interest payments, etc.
Provides self directed IRA LLC and small business financing.Â Very flexible, but has a requirement for large balances and fees are higher than average
Other Considerations for Choosing a Self Directed IRA Custodian
- Look for low fees and quick easy access to cash for purchases. A self directed IRA with a local branch is preferable for easy access and more personal service.
- The expense will depend on the amount held in the account as well as number and type of transactions done. Compare fee schedules of the self-directed IRA companies. Use the excel spreadsheet (above) to get an estimate of fees for self-directed IRA custodians listed above.
- Make sure your self directed IRA custodian handles Real Estate as well as real estate notes, in case you have to foreclose on a note.
- An IRA custodian who allows real estate options is a good choice since options can be very lucrative.Â Buying real estate and lease options is an effective technique for building wealth in your self-directed IRA.
- Buying private stock (aka private placement custodian) with a self-directed IRA is also an excellent option. Private placements may be C corps, S corps or LLCs, which you create and fund with your IRA, and are used for investing in business ventures or real estate partnerships.